Thursday 9 April 2020

DFI Session 4


Today was the second DFI session via distance learning using Google Hangouts. It was great! The more you learn this way the easier it becomes freeing up more room for attending to and absorbing the content material. We have a main Google Hangout and then split off into groups for more intensive support. I have found the small groups to be extremely valuable and would really recommend this for teachers who have learners that would be capable of flicking between two chats.

Sheets 
Today we learned how to use a lot of features on sheets. This was soo helpful and the features will definitely save some time!
Freezing the cells is one that I've wanted to know how to do but never spent the time investigating..
How easy it was- highlight the cells you want to freeze - click on view in the top tabs and go down to freeze.
Resizing multiple columns at once, highlight the letters at the top of the column and adjust one, it will adjust them all. 
Creating averages was also very straight forward, highlight the numbers you want to create an average across then click the formula button at the top then drop down to average. To have the whole columns averages populated drag down the square to the right of the cell, this will populate all required.
Sorting, to sort click on the letter of the column above then sort as required.
To create a graph/ chart highlight the values you want graphed, click on the explore tool (bottom right) then select your graph. If some cells were blank I found filling in 0 allowed me to go on to create a graph.


Using Statistics to Create Accountability






























I created the above on Google Drawing and embedded this in...
To embed in from Drawings I went to, file, publish to web, followed the prompts and then copied the embed code!

I really enjoyed using previously learned skills from these workshops in our 'create' time. It is really great how each session builds on from the previous sessions, it allows for practise of the skills which I may not have got back to in the week between. 









2 comments:

  1. Awesome Alisha,
    It's great to see you putting your new skills into practise for your learners. I am sure they are enjoying the way you are adapting to make their lives easier! Freezing in sheets is one of my favourite tools when dealing with data - glad to her I'm not the only one haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alisha :)
    I hadn't really thought about how we get to practice some of our new skills in the next session, but you are totally right- that going back to slides, or sheets, feels easier each time!
    I have loved learning how to embed things in different places, I feel like I am slowly starting to understand some of what is happening in the background of these apps.

    Catch you next time :)
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete

DFI Session 9

Today was the last DFI session. I have gained soo much new knowledge- what wonderful professional development. I have come out of this train...