Thursday 7 May 2020

DFI Session 8



DFI- Session 8
Computational Thinking
Coding

Here is an interactive puzzle to get you thinking about what coding is and when it could be used it the classroom. I found this a good puzzle to begin to understand coding slightly better.
Puzzle to try ! 

I also looked further into scratch as this is one that we already have installed on our iPads. This app allows children to gain a basic understanding about coding, and to try out their own coding skills. I can see how this app could also be used across multiple curriculum areas. 


Today we also explored empowerment (empowering learners and their families) thinking about how devices need to be much more than just a 'tool' we need to ensure that the devices are transforming the way the children learn through allowing children and families to overcome barriers that may have once been present without devices. I am looking forward to heading back into the classroom thinking about how we can best empower each learner and their families. I've been so impressed with how empowered the learners and their families have been over the lockdown time it would be awesome to have this empowerment continue and grow!!



Here is a video of 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alisha, Scratch has been a new experience for me today. I liked your idea of making a poster. I will also be looking at using devices as more than just a 'tool'.
    There were some good ideas on the Unplugged site and also the Coding and Computer slide there were some really good examples of teaching Scratch into the classroom. I liked the one where the children were to create conversations between two characters. Good luck for next week. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Alisha!
    I agree that Scratch has potential to be used across multiple curriculum areas. I am like you in that I was quite unfamiliar with Scratch before session eight. The poster that you have linked in would make a great display in the classroom. I totally agree with you - it is amazing to see how empowered our students have been whilst working remotely. They are so keen to showcase their skills and share their learning.
    Have a great week.
    Katie.

    ReplyDelete

DFI Session 9

Today was the last DFI session. I have gained soo much new knowledge- what wonderful professional development. I have come out of this train...